Mechanical Engineering Technical Elective Credit on an MDP Project
Mechanical Engineering students with senior standing are eligible to earn Mechanical Engineering RISE project/ME 490 credit on pre-approved MDP Sponsored Projects (during the second semester of their project only). Students who successfully complete all requirements of ME 490 are able to count it for either 400-level Technical Elective or Specialization Elective credit from the ME department.
Enrollment Plan: ME students earning ME 490 credit on an MDP Project
|Winter Semester||Fall Semester|
ENGR 355 or 455 (depending on standing)
(4 credit hours)
ME 490 (3 credit hours)
counts as 400-lvl Technical or Specialization Elective credit
Click here to view all ME 490-eligible projects
In order to earn ME 490 credit for their MDP project, students must complete all requirements of both courses (as outlined by the MDP program and the ME department).
- To receive ME department credit for MDP projects utilizing ME 490, students must fulfill all ME RISE requirements.
- Students are responsible for recruiting a qualified ME faculty member to be their ME 490 faculty advisor, enrolling in the appropriate ME 490 section and meeting weekly with their ME 490 faculty advisor for project guidance. The MDP Project Faculty Mentor may act as the RISE Faculty Advisor if they are otherwise eligible to supervise RISE projects. For questions about a specific instructor, please email email@example.com.
- Students are responsible for properly submitting their RISE proposal, and acquiring approval by posted deadlines. Projects must involve significant ME content and may not be “build only” or project management.
- To meet this requirement, students may need to extend a portion of the MDP team’s project scope and identify a specific deliverable for the project that is independent from effort by their teammates (though students may reference and cite relevant work from team members). The scope extension (RISE proposal) must have approval from the MDP Faculty Mentor and the ME 490 faculty advisor. (If the MDP Faculty Mentor is an ME RISE-approved mentor, they could be the same person.)
- For ME 490 credit, students must participate in the ME Undergraduate Symposium. If the project has NDA or IP restrictions that constrain public presentations, students must indicate during the RISE application work with the ME department for accommodations to meet ME 490 final requirements.