HOW TO APPLY
MDP Experiential Project Teams
- Our department plans, recruits, and manages 2-semester project experiences where students earn course credit while gaining real-world experiences.
- First-year undergraduate through professional masters students apply each fall semester.
- Project experiences begin in January!
- Click here to learn more about our 3 types of projects.
- Note: Google Drive links will require you to be logged in with umich.edu credentials
2023 Project Timeline:
- The main application has closed, but we encourage students who missed the deadline to join the waitlist for these projects
- Waitlist positions for MDP projects may become available anytime between November 10 and the add/drop deadline of Winter term.
- Projects run January 2023 through December 2023
Before You Apply
1. Browse available MDP projects (All)
Quick link to 2023 MDP Industry Sponsored Teams
- Read more about what MDP industry sponsored teams do here.
- Attention International Students on F1 Visas: All industry sponsored teams require the use of part time CPT. In order to be eligible to use CPT, a student must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis while physically present in the US for one academic year (i.e. two full consecutive terms). These measures are in place to protect your visa status. See the International Center’s website for more information.
Quick link to 2023 MDP Research Teams
- Read more about what MDP research teams do here.
Quick link to 2023 ArtsEngine Faculty Engineering/Arts Student Teams (FEAST)
- Read more about what students do on ArtsEngine FEAST projects here.
2. Review the Application before starting online
Prepare your resume (click here to review resume tips from the ECRC)
- Write your individual qualifications statement(s).You should tailor your statements for each project you wish to apply to, the same way you would with a cover letter for an internship or job.
- Pro tip: Be sure to check out the Preferred/Specific Skills section of each project in the full PDF project brief, and highlight how you fit (or are currently learning) these skills.
- You can view example individual qualifications statements in this document. (@umich credentials required)
3. Meet with your Academic Advisor
All projects require you to enroll for academic credit for two semesters. Before you apply, please meet with your Departmental Academic Advisor to make sure the project fits into your schedule, and whether or not it will impact future semesters or graduation timelines.
- Many students can use MDP Industry Sponsored projects for degree course substitution.
Click here to see your department’s academic policy for MDP.
- FRST and FEAST projects may count for requirements as well, please consult with your departmental academic advisor.
Familiarize yourself with the enrollment requirements:
- MDP Faculty Research Teams (FRST teams) require undergraduate and graduate students to enroll in a minimum of 4 credits total (2 credits/term) for at least 2 terms. Once on a team, research students are encouraged to continue beyond 2 terms.
- MDP Industry Sponsored Projects:
- Undergraduate Students are required to enroll in 7 credit hours split across two terms (3/4 or 4/3). Undergraduate students are expected to work 14-16 hours a week. Four or more of these hours per week should be team based-work.
- Graduate Students are required to enroll in 4 credit hours split across two terms (2/2). Graduate students are expected to work 8 hours a week. Four or more of these hours per week should be team-based work.
- ArtsEngine FEAST projects require undergraduate and graduate students to enroll in a minimum of 4 credits total (2 credits/term) for at least 2 terms.
4. Application Information
- Preview PDF copy of the application located here.
- It is much easier to use a computer (not a phone) to complete the application.
- You will only need to upload your resume once. (File Size Max: 350MB)
- You will choose and rank the teams you wish to apply for.
- For each team you choose to apply to, upload a brief, concise Individual Qualifications statement. Target length for each statement is ½-⅔ page. See examples here. (@umich credentials required) (File Size Max: 350MB)
- Applying to all roles on a team that you feel qualified for gives you a better chance of getting on the team.
- You may apply for as many roles and teams as you like!
(Note: each student will only receive one offer to join one team. No students are guaranteed an offer.)
- This video from the National Resident Matching Program isn’t an exact match to our process, but does a very good job of explaining generally how our process works.
Attend an Application Help Session during the week of October 10!
Video Interview Information
- Optional (but highly encouraged): Complete an online, one-way, video interview for each team you apply to. This is done on a separate platform called Spark Hire after you finish the MDP/ArtsEngine online application.
- The video “interview” is recordings of you answering some provided questions and is very similar to your personal statement. It is an opportunity for you to show your personality and enthusiasm for the project to the sponsors/PI’s. It is also a great chance to connect your resume to your face if you talked to the recruiters at our project fairs.
- The master list of video links is here. (@umich credentials required)
- Once you click through to a project interview, click the big blue button that says “Go to your interview.” At this point you will see the questions and will have a chance to record and re-record your videos as many times as you like until you are satisfied, until the application closes on October 26th.
After You Apply
5. Offer letters are expected starting early November