HOW TO APPLY
Attention International Students on F1 Visas: All industry sponsored teams require the use of part time CPT. In order to be eligible to use CPT, a student must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis while physically present in the US for one academic year (i.e. two full consecutive terms). See the International Center’s website for more information. Thank you for your patience as this information is evolving in real time. These measures are in place to protect your visa status.
The 2022 MDP Application is now closed! To join our waitlist, please complete the application at the link below.
2. Review the Application before starting online
- Prepare your resume (click here to review resume tips from the ECRC)
- Write your individual qualifications statement(s), one for each project you wish to apply to. Pro tip: Be sure to check out the Preferred/Specific Skills section of each project, and highlight how you fit (or are currently learning) these skills and the examples in this document.
- Preview PDF Copy of the application located here for information.
3. Meet with your Academic Advisor
All MDP projects require you to enroll for academic credit for two semesters. Before you apply, please meet with your Departmental Academic Advisor to make sure MDP fits in your schedule.
- For many students, MDP projects can count for a specific requirement in their major.
Click here to see your department’s academic policy for MDP.
- Faculty Research Teams require undergraduate and graduate students to enroll in a minimum of 4 credits total (2 credits/term) for at least 2 terms. Research students are encouraged to continue once on a team.
- Sponsored Projects require Undergraduate Students to enroll in 7 credit hours split across two terms (3/4 or 4/3). Undergraduate students are expected to work 14-16 hours a week. Four or more of these hours per week should be team based work.
- Sponsored Projects require Graduate Students to enroll in 4 credit hours split across two terms (2/2). Graduate students are expected to work 8 hours a week. Four or more of these hours per week should be team based work.
4. Application Information
- Preview PDF copy of the application located here for information.
- It is much easier to use a computer (not a phone) to complete the application.
- You will upload your resume one time for multiple team applications. (File Size Max: 350MB)
- You will choose and rank the teams you wish to apply for
- For each team you choose to apply to, upload a brief, concise Individual Qualifications
statement. Target length ½-⅔ page. See example here. (File Size Max: 350MB)
- Applying to all roles on a team that you feel qualified for gives you a better chance of getting on the team.
- You may apply for as many roles and teams as you like!
(Note: each student will only receive one offer to join one team. No students are guaranteed an offer.)
- This video from the National Resident Matching Program isn’t an exact match to our process, but does a very good job of explaining how our process works.
Video Interview Information
- Optional (but highly encouraged): Complete an online, one-way, video interview for each team you apply to. This is done on a separate platform called Spark Hire after you finish the MDP online application.
- The video “interview” is recordings of you answering some provided questions and is very similar to your personal statement. It is an opportunity for you to show your personality and enthusiasm for the project to the sponsors/PI’s. It is also a great chance to connect your resume to your face if you talked to the recruiters at our project fairs.
- The master list of video links is here.
- Once you click through to a project interview, click the big blue button that says “Go to your interview.” At this point you will see the questions and will have a chance to record and re-record your videos as many times as you like until you are satisfied, until the application closes on October 17th.
After You Apply
5. Offer letters are expected starting early November, 2021.
Students will receive at most one offer among the teams you apply for. You will then have 7 days to accept or decline. If you decline an offer, you will not receive another one. All applicants will hear from the MDP office by mid December.