HOW TO APPLY
MDP’s application has closed.
Applications completed after Noon ET on Friday, October 23rd will be automatically added to our waitlist.
Have questions? We’ve got answers! Check our FAQ for more information.
Positions are open to first year undergraduate through professional Master’s students from all schools & colleges. These are 2-semester projects that begin in January of 2021, and run (during the academic year) through December of 2021.
See below for more details on how to apply.
2. Review the Application before starting online
- Prepare your resume (click here to review resume tips from the ECRC)
- Write your individual qualifications statement(s), one for each project you wish to apply to. Pro tip: Be sure to check out the Preferred/Specific Skills section of each project, and highlight how you fit (or are currently learning) these skills and the examples in this document.
- Preview PDF Copy of the application located here for information.
3. Meet with your Academic Advisor (this can be done after you apply)
All MDP projects require you to enroll for academic credit for two semesters. Before you apply, please meet with your Departmental Academic Advisor to make sure MDP fits in your schedule.
- For many students, MDP projects can count for a specific requirement in their major.
Click here to see your department’s academic policy for MDP.
- Faculty Research Teams require undergraduate and graduate students to enroll in a minimum of 4 credits total (2 credits/term) for at least 2 terms. Research students are encouraged to continue once on a team.
- Sponsored Projects require Undergraduate Students to enroll in 7 credit hours split
across two terms (3/4 or 4/3).
- Sponsored Projects require Graduate Students to enroll in 4 credit hours split across
two terms (2/2).
4. Applications received after the 10/23 deadline will be automatically added to our waitlist.
- Students from the waitlist do receive offers each year, but exact numbers vary.
- All applicants will be contacted by mid-December regarding their application status.
5. Application Information
- Preview PDF copy of the application located here for information.
- It is much easier to use a computer (not a phone) to complete the application.
- You will upload your resume one time. (File Size Max: 350MB)
- You will choose and rank the projects you wish to apply for
- For each team you choose to apply to, upload a brief, concise Individual Qualifications
statement. Target length ½-⅔ page. See example here. (File Size Max: 350MB)
- Applying to all roles on a team that you feel qualified for gives you a better chance of getting on the team.
- You may apply for as many teams as you like!
(Note: each student will only receive one offer to join one project team. No students are guaranteed an offer.)
Video Interview Information
- Optional (but highly encouraged): Complete an online, one-way, video interview for each team you apply to. This is done on a separate platform called Spark Hire after you finish the MDP online application.
- The video “interview” is recordings of you answering some provided questions and is very similar to your personal statement. It is an opportunity for you to show your personality and enthusiasm for the project to the sponsors/PI’s. It is also a great chance to connect your resume to your face if you talked to the recruiters at our project fairs.
- The master list of video links is here.
- Once you click through to a project interview, click the big blue button that says “Go to your interview.” At this point you will see the questions and will have a chance to record and re-record your videos as many times as you like until you are satisfied.
After You Apply
6. MDP will begin sending offer letters in early November 2020.
Students will receive at most one offer among the teams you apply for. You will then have 7 days to accept or decline. If you decline an offer, you will not receive another one.