1. Students who complete ANY MDP sponsored project will be allowed to use it to satisfy the EE MDE requirement, and it will count for 4 credits of Flexible Technical Electives.
(1) In order to satisfy the EE degree requirements, however, these students will be required to take an additional 4 credit upper-level EE technical elective beyond the 19 credits currently required (not necessarily an EE MDE) chosen from the list given in the EE program guide.
Please note: A maximum of 4 credits of directed or independent study or multidisciplinary design work may be applied to Technical Elective Requirements, which includes any of these credits used to satisfy Major Design Experience and Flexible Technical Electives. Anything beyond 4 credits will be applied toward General Electives.
(2) Note that the MDP projects need only offer a major design experience, and students do not need to get (pre- or post-) approval of an EE Program Advisor to receive credit and satisfy the EE MDE requirement.
2. Students must enroll in 4 credit hours of ENGR 455 in the semester that they receive MDE credit.
All MDP projects are two terms, so this is generally the Fall/2nd semester of the project.
3. Student must have Senior standing.
4. Technical Communications 496 AND EECS 496 should be elected concurrently in the semester MDE substitution is made
Sample enrollment for student earning EE MDE Credit on an MDP Project:
WI Term: 3 Credit Hours of ENGR 355 or 455, depending on standing
FA Term: 4 Credit Hours ENGR 455 + 2 Credit Hours EECS 496 + 2 Credit hours of Tech Comm 496
Click to view all the approved projects for EE MDE (Major Design Experience/Senior Capstone) substitution.
Students who do NOT have Senior standing/are otherwise ineligible to earn MDE may be eligible to use ENGR 355 or 455 under Directed Study rule:
Directed Study Rule: Up to 4 credit hours of independent study (EECS 399, EECS 499, ENGR 355, ENGR 455, or other technical department’s independent study courses) may be used as Flexible Technical Electives.