Faculty mentors are not required to travel with their teams, though should they wish to participate in trips they are free to do so. MDP will cover standard travel expenses. Please submit the original itemized receipts along with proof of expense (credit card receipt/statement) and the Reimbursement Forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Reimbursement Forms has two components: the Student Payment Form cover page and the expense page.
To access the writable versions of the documents below, please download or add the documents to your Google Drive.
General expenses (e.g, lodging, car rental, train/plane ticket(s), registration fees) will be covered by MDP. Hotel selections will be made by MDP and car rentals will come from University transportation services.
Typically, sponsored travel destinations that are 10 hours or fewer from campus will be driven by a qualified student driver or staff in a University fleet vehicle. Trips that require 10 or more hours of driving may require the use of a commercial train or plane. While traveling on sponsored events you are expected to display professional behavior for the duration of the trip.
Uber can be reimbursed as a last-minute solution for local travel if needed.
VEHICLE RENTAL PROCEDURE
Student teams requesting rentals must have at least one eligible driver (student or staff) who is willing to drive. A single student may not drive more than 3 straight hours. Longer trips will require two or more drivers. Eligible drivers must be 18 years or older and have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
Email your request to email@example.com at minimum, 5 business days before your intended trip.
Cars and Vans are not always available. Make your reservations early.
Please CC: your entire team, and include the following in your request:
- Date and Time for Pickup (factor in the travel time)
- Date and Time for Drop-off (factor in the travel time)
- Destination Address
- Driver's Full Name (Has to be MVR approved. See below)
- Driver's uniqname
- Reason for trip
- Number of people travelling
Once the rental request has been approved/processed, you will receive a confirmation email letting your team know when your vehicle will be available for pick up.
Vehicles are picked up and dropped off at 1213 Kipke Drive (near the Crisler Arena) during business hours. All vehicles must be picked up during office hours. No vehicles may be picked up on Saturday or Sunday. If a vehicle is needed for the weekend, please note on the requisition what day it will be used but that it will be picked up on Friday between 3-5 pm. Office hours are Monday - Friday, 6:30 am - 5:00 pm. For after-hours returns, return the vehicle to the parking lots adjacent to the Fleet Services office by the reserved date and time on your vehicle reservation. There are 2 key drop boxes conveniently located in the building for you to deposit the keys upon your return.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD CHECK
Anyone who plans to drive a University vehicle must complete the Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check at least 2 business days before submitting a rental request. Students only need to get approved once a year. Approval of a MVR check is required to submit a request and pick up a vehicle.
Note You will be asked to provide a short code when completing the link, please enter: MDP in this box. For the Department, choose "Multidisciplinary Design Program". Processing for MI licenses may take 1-2 days minimum. Out-of-State licenses may take longer.
- Students with licenses from New Hampshire, Pennsylvania or Washington may require extra paperwork. You must reconfirm this 2 days in advance of your car rental.
- Students with 7 or more points on their license may not drive university vehicles.
- Students may not transport others in their personal vehicles for University sponsored travel.
- There is a Cancellation Charge if you don’t give at least 24 hours prior notice. Please note, cancellation requests must be made by noon on Friday for Monday pickups. The cancellation charge is equal to one day charge for the type of vehicle reserved. This will be charged against your project budget.
- There is a Late Return Charge if the vehicle is returned after the stated time, equal to two days rental for the vehicle for every day it is late. If you know that you are running late and may not have the vehicle returned by the stated time, contact Fleet Services at (734) 764-3427 to make arrangements. In most cases they are able to extend the rental period with no penalty.
From the Logistics, Transportation & Parking (LT&P) website (University rules):
- Motor vehicles furnished by the University are to be used exclusively for University business and must be parked on University property (owned or leased) when not in use. THIS MEANS YOU MAY NOT PARK THE VEHICLE AT YOUR OFF CAMPUS APARTMENT. YOU MAY USE PARKING NEAR GORGUZE FAMILY LABORATORY.
- The driver of a University vehicle is responsible for all moving or parking violations he or she may incur while operating the vehicle.
- The Office of Risk Management insures all University vehicles with a $500 deductible.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are prohibited in University vehicles.
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, medication, illness, fatigue, or injury is prohibited.
- Driving in excess of the posted speeding limit is prohibited.
- Cell phone use, including making calls or reading or typing a text or email while driving, is prohibited.
- Safety belts must be worn by all occupants of the vehicle at all times.
- Strict adherence to all applicable traffic laws is required at all times.
- Radar/laser detection devices are prohibited.
- Wrecker service is available from 7 a.m. to 12:30 a.m., Monday through Friday, by phoning 734-764-2490. For after-hours emergency service, phone the Department of Public Safety at 734-763-1131.
- Should a University vehicle require service or repair when out of town, it is highly recommended that pre- approval for the work be obtained from PTS Garage Operations if possible. Reimbursement for emergency repairs and road service is subject to review and approval. Itemized receipts and return of the replaced parts to Garage Operations is required. For work approval, telephone Garage Operations (collect) at 734-764-2490.
For a complete list of Policies and Procedures relating to University vehicles, please visit https://pts.umich.edu/fleet/fleetpp.php
- Full name of all travelers who need to reserve rooms
- Check in and check out date and time
- Name of the recommended/designated hotel
The students will be issued a Stored Value Card for this purpose.
Please send a requisition to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 business days before your departure date.
These cards are issued to cover the cost of meals when on a class-related travel and hence may not be used for any other purpose. You will receive an email once the cards are ready for pickup. You have to come in person to pick up the card.