Based on the budget results, funding for Summer 2020 is extremely limited.
The limited funds will be offered directly to selected Research & Sponsored Project students on an individual basis.
There is no application form available for 2020.
Students involved in the Multidisciplinary Design Program are invited to individually submit requests for summer funding to continue MDP-related work. In order for your application to be considered, the application must be completed in full. Funding is not guaranteed.
HOW ARE STUDENTS SELECTED?
Each year, MDP attempts to provide funding to as many students as possible. The total amount of funding available varies year-to-year, based on how much money was left-over from the previous Cohort.
Priority Consideration criteria include the following:
- Students who do not have a summer internship
- Currently enrolled on a Faculty Research Team
- Currently enrolled on a Corporate/Industry-Sponsored Project team
- Your work over the summer would have a significant positive impact on your team
- Declared in the MDP Minor (undergraduates only)
If you are selected to receive an MDP Summer Stipend, the amount awarded will be based on a number of factors:
- Amount of time you have available to dedicate to your project in Ann Arbor (all work must be completed in Ann Arbor / on campus)
- Significance of the contributions/work you will deliver for your team
- MDP’s availability of funds. This varies each year, and we try to fund as many students as possible.
Stipends are calculated at a fixed rate:
FRST Research Teams
|Number of Semesters on Research Team Complete before the Summer||1-2||3||4||5||6|
|Undergraduate Hourly Rate||$14||$15||$16||$17||$18|
|Graduate Hourly Rate||$16||$17||$18||$19||$20|
The amount of your stipend (and associated number of hours expected) may differ from the amount you request in the online form. While we try to fully fund all requests, we may need to make adjustments in order to award a reasonable amount of funding to as many students as possible. Maximum amount possible for an individual student: 300 hours
HOW ARE THE STIPENDS DISTRIBUTED?
If selected, you will receive notification of your stipend award in March, and will be asked to confirm before the funds are deposited into your student account the first week in May. You may decline an awarded stipend if you receive an internship job offer, your summer plans change, etc. Please give us early notice if you will be declining an award so we may offer the stipend to another student on the waitlist.
If you owe any funds to the University of Michigan (have a negative balance in your Student Account), the stipend award will be utilized as payment towards those debts, which is a University policy. If the funds create an “overage” in your account, you may request a check from Financial Aid to use the money for rent/housing, groceries, etc. over the summer. Before your award is distributed, MDP will work with the CoE Scholarship Office to ensure you are not penalized if you receive financial aid.
The stipend is not subject to income tax for U.S. Citizens. International/non-US Citizen students will be taxed at a rate of 10%. (This is a federal Internal Revenue Service requirement, not an MDP rule)
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com
If you receive an MDP Summer Stipend, you are required to provide a report to both MDP and your faculty mentor (due August 24, 2018) that details the accomplishments you completed over the summer and the overall progress you made in your summer work. More details will be provided upon notification of the funding decision.
BEFORE YOU APPLY
Industry-Sponsored and Faculty Research Team Student Applicants
- Discuss summer project development/objectives/timeline with your Faculty Mentor/Advisor
- What would you achieve if you worked on the project over the summer?
- How would it benefit the team?
- Is your work dependent on the work/delivery of other students?
- Will you make decisions (design or functionality decisions, spending decisions, etc) autonomously or will those decisions require email collaboration with your peers/faculty mentor?
- What is the process for obtaining required design decision approval from your faculty or team? (be sure to discuss)
- What purchases are required for your summer work? (These will come out of your team’s general budget and will not impact summer funding award decision)
- Create a plan for your summer design work, including number of hours anticipated per week
- Outline your plan for the summer, and note specific days/weeks you will not be working on your project due to personal time, vacation/travel time, etc.
- Be realistic about your schedule: how many hours could you dedicate each week to time on your project? Consider time spent building/designing/communicating, etc. MDP will not fund more than 30 hours per week.
- Set goals for each week and periodic development deadlines for yourself to stay on track.
- Create a documentation plan: how will you document your work and effort for the team?
- Create a communication plan: how will you communicate with members of your team, faculty or sponsor? Will communication be required over the summer? Who is available to support you on your work if you experience difficulty?