Student Team Fast Facts
Every year, we welcome the partnership of 35-40 industry, non-profit and government organizations who are dedicated to engaging with student engineers. We will help you select an engineering based project for students that will benefit your company, keeping in mind your technology and recruitment goals and educational needs of the program.
Team Size: 5 – 7
Team Composition: Undergraduate & Master’s Students
Team Skills & Majors: Varies based on needs of the project
Project Duration: January – April AND September – December (two terms)
Intellectual Property: Owned by the sponsor
Non-Disclosure Agreements: Optional
Support & Infrastructure for External Partners
- Formal Project Agreement
- Student Intellectual Property Agreement
- Student Non-Disclosure Agreement
- Project Description Template
- Student Recruitment Materials and Events
- Invitations to Private, On-Campus Events
- Formal Project Kick Off Dinner in January
Ideal projects are mid- to back-burner projects and are not critical-path. Project size ranges from approximately 800-1000 engineering hours, spread across the two-semester time frame of the course. Project scopes may be larger if you provide the students summer internships with your organization.
To begin identifying ideal projects within your organization, or to learn more about MDP in general, please contact MDP Program Manager for Sponsored Projects Jenn Carlson firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Sponsor Timeline
MDP Standard Project Fee: $20,000
This project fee includes:
- Compensation for the UM Faculty Mentor who will support your students two hours per week
- A $2500 travel/development budget for your students: this can be used to purchase supplies and licenses, travel to your office/site visit, etc.
- Recruitment and associated programmatic costs
Project Fee is due on December 31st, before your project work begins. Accommodations on the timeline for the fee can be made for sponsors who are on completing fiscal year calendars, etc.
Program Manager for Sponsored Projects