Students must complete the requirements of both programs (MDP and MICDE) in order to receive MICDE Practicum credit.
- Students are responsible for identifying appropriate scope / content for individual work within the context of their MDP Project.
- Materials developed within group work may be utilized within the individual Practicum Report to provide context of the overall project.
- There must be sufficient individual work to justify the graduate level practicum.
- The scope/content of the proposal must be approved by the MDP Faculty Mentor / Faculty PI
- Students must submit their practicum proposal to MICDE Director, Krishna Garikipati and obtain approval prior to the first day of class in the 2nd term of the MDP Project (Fall semester).
- Student Practicum reports will be evaluated by Prof Garikipati on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis; Students must receive a grade of ENGR 599 with B- or better in order to receive a Satisfactory Report grade.
- Enrollment in 4 total academic credits.
- Participation in “JumpStart” workshop (occurs early in the Winter term).
- Successful completion of all project assignments (Design Reviews, Peer Evaluations, Workshops, Poster Sessions, etc.).
- Consistent, successful, weekly team participation
- Average 8 hours effort / week
- Individual Practicum results may be included in the group work of the MDP Project Team.
|Term||Course Enrollment / Actions||Grade end of Winter Term||Grade end of Fall Term|
|Winter semester||ENGR 599, 1 credit hour||Grade: “Y” – Placeholder Grade for Winter Term. This converts to a letter grade at the end of the Fall Term.||Letter Grade for ENGR 599, 1 credit placed in the transcript in Winter term|
|Summer semester||Submit proposal for practicum to MICDE Director (currently Prof. K. Garikipati)|
|Fall semester||ENGR 599, 3 credit hours||Letter Grade for ENGR 599, 3 credits placed in the transcript in Fall Term.|
(ARCHIVE) The following 2018 MDP projects were pre-approved by MICDE to fulfill Practicum Credit:
- Amway Air Filtration: CFD & Acoustic Model Development
- Denso Virtual Reality Test Drive of Autonomous Vehicle
- Denso Human Factor Study: Driver Behavior Recognition
- General Motors Combustion Stability Metric Project
- General Motors Transmission Friction Loss and Fuel Economy
- Ilmor Marine Engine Water Inlet Optimization
- Isuzu Full Vehicle Lubrication System Model Development
- Stryker Voice-Based Charting for Clinicians