ME 490 (Technical Elective) Substitution Information
Students with senior standing may utilize Mechanical Engineering RISE projects (ME 490) for one semester (3 credits) of their two-semester (7 credits total) requirement in MDP Partner Sponsored Projects. Students who successfully complete all requirements of ME 490 are able to count it for Technical Elective 1 or Specialization Elective credit from the ME department.
In order to earn ME 490 credit for their MDP project, students must complete all requirements of both courses.
Instructions to ME Substitution
To receive ME department credit for MDP projects, students must fulfill all ME 490 requirements. Students are responsible for recruiting ME faculty member as their ME 490 instructor, enrolling in the appropriate ME 490 section and meeting weekly with their ME 490 instructor for project guidance. Students are responsible for properly submitting their RISE proposal, and acquiring approval by posted deadlines. Projects must involve significant ME content and may not be “build only” or project management. To meet this requirement, students may need to extend their MDP project scope. For credit, students must participate in MEUS (ME UG symposium). If project has IP restrictions that constrains public presentations, students must indicate this at time of the proposal and work with the department for accommodations to meet ME 490 final requirements.
Students are solely responsible for the following items:
- Students must professionally request and be accepted by an ME Faculty member who will oversee their work as their ME RISE Faculty Mentor. Participation in the RISE program is at the discretion of the ME faculty.
- Students must enroll in the appropriate ME 490 section for their ME instructor for the fall term
- Students must complete the RISE proposal process. Student must submit a proposal to the RISE website. RISE proposals must be approved by MDP faculty mentor before being sent to the ME RISE faculty mentor. Work must support the objectives of the MDP team. For the RISE proposal, your project must have significant ME content and may not be “build only” or project management. To meet this requirement, students may need to extend their MDP project scope per guidance of their ME faculty mentor.
- RISE proposals are submitted to ME via the RISE website, after which they go through an approval process by your ME faculty mentor and ME department. Your project may require iteration before being fully accepted. Student must submit and receive approval for their ME 490 course before the add/drop deadline in Fall Semester. Please refer to the RISE page for department deadlines.
- Students must indicate any IP/NDA requirements of their project in their RISE proposal. Students are not allowed to publically present work controlled under an IP/NDA agreement. Students must work with the ME Undergraduate Chair to make accommodations for this case (such as substituting a paper and presentation to only the RISE mentor and ME UG Chair) and get approval during the proposal stage.
- Students who fail to obtain approval for a ME 490 proposal will complete the 2nd semester of their MDP project in the appropriate ENGR x55 course. Please note that ENGR x55 will not count as Technical or Specialization Elective credit in Mechanical Engineering. For Technical Elective 1 or Specialization Elective credit in Mechanical Engineering, students must have approval for their RISE project and properly complete all RISE requirements.
Please see the ME RISE website for more information on the RISE requirements and process.