Students with senior standing are eligible to earn Mechanical Engineering RISE project/ME 490 credit on pre-approved MDP Sponsored Projects (during the second semester of their project only). Students who successfully complete all requirements of ME 490 are able to count it for 400-level Technical Elective or Specialization Elective credit from the ME department.
Enrollment Plan: ME Students earning ME 490 credit on an MDP Project
|Winter semester||Fall semester|
|ENGR 355 or 455 (depending on standing) (4 credit hours)||ME 490 (3 credit hours) counts as Technical Elective Credit|
Instructions for MDP students
In order to earn ME 490 credit for their MDP project, students must complete all requirements of both courses (as outlined by the MDP program and the ME department).
- To receive ME department credit for MDP projects utilizing ME 490, students must fulfill all ME RISE Program requirements.
- Please see the ME RISE website for more information on the RISE requirements and process.
- Students are responsible for recruiting a qualified ME faculty member to be their ME 490 instructor, enrolling in the appropriate ME 490 section and meeting weekly with their ME 490 instructor for project guidance. The MDP Project Faculty Mentor may be a qualified RISE faculty mentor.
- Students are responsible for properly submitting their RISE proposal, and acquiring approval by posted deadlines. Projects must involve significant ME content and may not be “build only” or project management.
- To meet this requirement, students may need to extend a portion of the MDP team’s project scope and identify a specific deliverable for the project that is independent from effort by their teammates (though students may reference and cite relevant work from team members). The scope extension (RISE proposal) must have approval from the MDP Faculty Mentor and the ME 490 instructor. (If the MDP Faculty Mentor is an ME RISE-approved mentor, they could be the same person.)
- For ME 490 credit, students must participate in MEUS (ME UG symposium). If the project has NDA or IP restrictions that constrain public presentations, students must indicate during the RISE application work with the ME department for accommodations to meet ME 490 final requirements.
(ARCHIVE) The following 2018 MDP projects were pre-approved by the ME department to fulfill ME 490 credit:
- Amway Air Filtration: CFD & Acoustic Model Development
- BASF Keep it Clean: The Role of Shear in Automated Washing
- General Motors Combustion Stability Metric Project
- General Motors Transmission Friction Loss and Fuel Economy
- General Motors Electronic Thermal Management for Autonomous Vehicles
- HATCI Co-Pilot Drone for Enhanced Vehicle Experience
- Ilmor Marine Engine Water Inlet Optimization
- Isuzu Full Vehicle Lubrication System Model Development
- MDA Autonomous Mobile Sensor System for Quadcopter
- Northrop Grumman Non Terrestrial Based Printing
- Procter & Gamble New Robot & Cobot Functionality for Manufacturing Systems
- Shape Corp. Ultra High Strength Steel
- Toyota Next Generation Driver Compartment Concepts for Semi-Autonomous Vehicles
- UMTRI Injury Biomechanics: 3D Head & Brain Modeling
- Yanfeng Heatstake & Assembly Process Design