BUILDING GLOBALLY COMPETENT ENGINEERS THROUGH PROFESSIONAL TEAM EXPERIENCE IN CHINA
Gain Global Engineering Experience in China
Solve important global design challenges through design team participation in this unique two semester partnership between UM, UM-SJTU Joint Institute, and a Corporate Partner.
GlobalMDP Program is a great opportunity for students who wants to travel abroad and gain global engineering experience.
- Program Fee: Free! Students selected for the Global MDP program will receive a College of Engineering scholarship to cover the full cost of the program fee (tuition) for the Fall Semester.
- Housing: Free!
- Click here to see a full budget that includes meals, visa fees, airfare, etc. – Scholarships may be available: schedule an appointment with IPE to discuss.
How it Works
Fall: You’ll travel to Shanghai and attend classes (12-14 credit hours, all taught in English) through UM-SJTU Joint Institute and will also enroll on the MDP Project (VG 450). Your MDP team will have students from UM-AA and some students from SJTU JI. You’ll interact with professional engineers in China as you work on the project.
Winter: You’ll return to Ann Arbor and enroll in classes as usual through UM-Ann Arbor, including enrolling on the MDP Project*. You will have frequent remote interaction with your SJTU team members to finish the project. (The SJTU team members will come to Ann Arbor in March to help wrap up!) You will present your final GlobalMDP work at the April Design Expo.
- You are majoring in: Data Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, Mechanical Engineering with Sophomore, Junior, or Senior class standing*
- Current University of Michigan College of Engineering students in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- There is no foreign language requirement for this program
- You are interested in Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
*Class standing is determined by year of study, regardless of credit hours earned. Applicants must have completed the required year(s) of college study by the program start date
How to Apply
- Navigate to the International Programs in Engineering Website, and click on the Apply Now button at the very bottom of the page by the due date (typically Early March)
- Save the date for the Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation (Available on IPE Website)
- Applying for multiple Travel Abroad opportunities? Read the Multiple Applications Policy here
VG 450: GMDP Project Details
VMWare China R&D, is partnering with the University of Michigan and the University of Michigan – Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute for the 2019-20 offering of the Global Multidisciplinary Design Program (GMDP). The two areas of project focus are:
1) ) Cloud computing and services, including software-defined computing, networking, storage; cloud native containers and clustering, as well as AI/ML frameworks
2) Industrial IoT (Internet of Things) innovations connecting OT (operation technology) with IT, focusing on smart manufacturing and facilities, with edge computing enhanced by Al/ML analytics
Students majoring in CS, EE, ME and Data Science are especially encouraged to consider this two-semester program. CS students have the opportunity to use the GMDP project as their major design experience, with appropriate selection of courses and pre-requisites.
- Program Fee (Tuition) Covered by Scholarship!
- Develop key professional competencies, such as global teamwork and project management skills
- Collaborate closely with Bosch Professional Engineers and UM Faculty
- On-site visits to your corporate sponsor
- Earn credit towards your degree
- Earn academic credit towards the MDP Minor and/or the International Minor for Engineers
|Fall||Early March||Applications Due|
|Mid March||Selection Decision Released|
|Early April||Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation|
|Sept – Dec||Fall Semester at UM-SJTU JI in Shanghai, China|
|Winter||Jan – Mar||Winter Semester at UM, Chinese teammates work remotely|
|Mar – Apr||Chinese teammates travel to UM to complete project work|
|Mid April||Present project at CoE Design Expo|