BUILDING GLOBALLY COMPETENT ENGINEERS THROUGH PROFESSIONAL TEAM EXPERIENCE IN CHINA
Gain Global Engineering Experience in China
Solve important global design challenges through design team participation in this unique two semester partnership between UM, UM-SJTU Joint Institute, and Bosch.
GlobalMDP Program is a great opportunity for students who wants to travel abroad and gain global engineering experience.
- Program Fee: Free! Students selected for the Global MDP program will receive a College of Engineering scholarship to cover the full cost of the program fee (tuition) for the Fall Semester.
- Housing: Free!
- Click here to see a full budget that includes meals, visa fees, airfare, etc. – total out-of-pocket costs are estimated to be ~$3,850, and scholarships may be available for you. Schedule an appointment with IPE to discuss.
How it Works
Fall 2018: You’ll travel to Shanghai and attend classes (options here! 12-14 credit hours, all taught in English) through UM-SJTU Joint Institute and will also enroll on the Bosch MDP Project (VG 450). Your Bosch MDP team will have students from UM-AA and some students from SJTU JI. You’ll interact with Bosch engineers in China as you work on the project.
Winter 2019: You’ll return to Ann Arbor and enroll in classes as usual through UM-Ann Arbor, including enrolling on the Bosch MDP Project*. You will have frequent remote interaction with your SJTU team members to finish the project. (The SJTU team members will come to Ann Arbor in March to help wrap up!) You will present your final GlobalMDP work at the 2019 April Design Expo.
- You are majoring in: Civil & Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, Computer Engineering, Materials Science Engineering, or Industrial & Operations Engineering with Sophomore, Junior, or Senior class standing*
- Current University of Michigan College of Engineering students in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- There is no foreign language requirement for this program
- You are interested in Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
*Class standing is determined by year of study, regardless of credit hours earned. Applicants must have completed the required year(s) of college study by the program start date
How to Apply
- Navigate to the International Programs in Engineering Website, and click on the Apply Now button at the very bottom of the page
- Deadline to apply: March 7th, 2018!
- Save the date for the Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation: April 7th, 2018, 9am – 3pm
- Applying for multiple Travel Abroad opportunities? Read the Multiple Applications Policy here
VG 450: Bosch Project Details
This two-semester, multidisciplinary project is ideally suited for students with interest in the Internet of Things and artificial intelligence.
Smart Cities have become one of the most popular applications of Internet of Things. In this space, a series of mature solutions have been developed in relevant areas, such as parking monitoring, waste management, energy management, and smart buildings.
The concept of a Smart Campus provides an ideal use case platform for integration of the above mentioned solutions as a sub-system of the larger Smart City concept.
Bosch China Group will support 2018 GMDP teams to explore and develop multifunctional systems on the smart campus theme, which will be first applied on the Bosch China sites in such as Shanghai, Suzhou, and Wuxi. This smart campus application involves numerous scenarios, e.g., parking monitoring, shuttle bus management, lab and meeting room management, energy and environment monitoring to improve the efficacy & security of the Bosch China sites.
- Program Fee (Tuition) Covered by Scholarship!
- Develop key professional competencies, such as global teamwork and project management skills
- Collaborate closely with Bosch Professional Engineers and UM Faculty
- On-site visits to Bosch China and Bosch USA
- Earn credit torwards your degree
- Earn academic credit towards the MDP Minor and/or the International Minor for Engineers
|2018||Mar 7||Applications Due|
|Mar 20||Selection Decision Released|
|April 1||Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation|
|Sept – Dec||Fall Semester at UM-SJTU JI in Shanghai, China|
|2019||Jan – Mar||Winter Semester at UM, Chinese teammates work remotely|
|Mar – Apr||Chinese teammates travel to UM to complete project work|
|April 11||Present project at CoE Design Expo|
For more information,