Prof. Jeff Ringenberg and the Multidisciplinary Design Program are offering EECS 498-004 – Multidisciplinary Software Development for MDP students: a 2-semester project course where each student is part of a team with a team faculty mentor, a mentor from the client, and a real application project. The majority of homework will be applied development work for the project.
CS majors who have completed EECS 281 prior to enrollment on the MDP project team are eligible to receive 4 credits of Flex Tech (Winter semester) and 4 credits of MDE (Fall semester) on pre-approved projects only.
- Project must be CS-related and pre-approved by CS-ENG Program Advisor.
- Click here to see all projects pre-approved for CS MDE.
- Students must have completed EECS 281 & TechComm 300 prior to their MDP project.
- Both semesters of the course must be successfully completed to receive credit toward the CS degree requirements.
- Students must enroll in EECS 498-004 (Prof. Jeff Ringenberg’s section) during both semesters on the project.
- Notes regarding Flex Tech credit:
- Flex Tech is earned during the first semester of the project only.
- This credit falls under Directed / Independent Study and Research: only 4 hours of directed/independent study or research courses (total across all departments, i.e. EECS, IOE, Civil, etc.) can count toward technical electives.
- Please note: the CS-E program makes a distinction between Upper Level CS courses and Flexible Technical Electives.
- Notes regarding the MDE requirement:
- Must have completed any general departmental pre-requisites for MDEs
- TCHNCLCM 497 and EECS 496 must be elected in one of the 2 semesters of the MDP project.
- CS recommends the MDE to be taken during one of your final two semesters.
See sample schedule below:
Required enrollment for CS-ENG student earning CS Flex Tech and MDE Credit on an MDP Project.
|Winter Semester||Fall Semester|
|CS Flex Tech Granted||CS MDE Semester Substitution Granted|
|4 Credit Hours of EECS 498-004||4 Credit Hours of EECS 498-004|
|+ Required, 2-hour Weekly Meeting with your team’s Faculty Mentor (scheduled after teams are chosen)||+ Required, 2-hour Weekly Meeting with your team’s Faculty Mentor (scheduled after teams are chosen)|
During the year of the project, students must also enroll in:
2 Credit Hours of TCHNCLCM497*
*courses can be taken either semester
(ARCHIVE) The following 2018 MDP Partner-Sponsored Projects were pre-approved by the CS department to count as CS MDE:
- Ally Website Prototype Design
- Beyster BluePath Structure Navigation System for the Visually Impaired
- Denso Virtual Reality Test Drive of Autonomous Vehicle
- Denso Human Factor Study: Driver Behavior Recognition
- HATCI Co-Pilot Drone for Enhanced Vehicle Experience
- JPMorgan Chase Real-Time Global Batch Monitoring Dashboard
- MDA Autonomous Mobile Sensor System for Quadcopter
- ProQuest Improve Drug Safety through Deep Learning
- ProQuest Entity Linking for Geographic Data Identification
- Maestro Conducting Simulation
- Stryker Voice-Based Charting for Clinicians
- Sungard Social Media Harvesting for Business Continuity
- Together Chicago Web/App for Chicago Social Asset Mapping
- Union Pacific Cost and Profitability System Design