ENGR 456: Mentorship/Leadership Experience
Prior to ENGR 456:
Students should have completed a minimum of two semesters of significant, curricular participation on team/organization in multidisciplinary engineering design at the 300 level or above.
Role within host organization:
Students take on the role of leader or mentor focusing on engineering, engineering instruction and/or engineering design. Ideally the organization they mentor will be the same as their multi-term project; however, other outside organizations could be allowed by petition (this is often the case if the multi-term project organization no longer exists).
- Leadership role within a student competition team (Chief Engineer, Subteam Lead, senior member)
- Mentor for MDP-organized partner sponsored projects, leadership position within faculty research groups
- Mentor/instructor to a Michigan Engineering Zone team
- Class mentor for ME 350
- FIRST Robotics mentor
Please note that organizations may have requirements in addition to those listed below and a student may have personal goals which they wish to pursue.
- Define a set of goals (2 minimum) that support the objectives of the host organization. The goals must be focused on the transfer of engineering skills/knowledge, development of people, development /improvement of the organization’s structure or capability, and/or the improvement of processes within the engineering organization. This experience may not be defined in terms of delivering an engineering technical function. These goals are detailed in first writing assignment of the seminar.
- Work toward achieving their goals while reflecting upon their personal experience obtained in their MDP multi-term project, their engineering education as a whole, and content (e.g., models and framework) presented in the seminar portion of the course.
- The effort required is 54 hours (equivalent to 4 hours per week/14 weeks).
- The achievement/effort is evaluated on a pass/fail basis.